Relay for Life 2013

This year's Relay snuck up on me out of nowhere.  Usually, the competition between my North Country Fair deadlines and the Relay are manageable due to them being staggered by a week.  This year, with the Edmonton Relay's move to the new location, there was an unavoidable date change which caused my NCF deadline AND the Relay to fall on the same weekend.

All kinds of chaos ensued for me, with a shortage of volunteers and time creating a unique challenge.  My husband and my daughter pitched in so instead of holding down the fort I was able to spend quite a bit of time shooting, which was WONDERFUL.  It reminded me what a powerful, wonderful, amazing event the Relay is, and just how deeply I am touched by it each and every year.  I reconnected with some regulars and familiar faces, and made some new friends.  I learned that some of my Relay friends became survivors.  Some of my Relay friends who were survivors last year were remembered for losing their fight.

The track is full of stories.  Each and every person there has had their life changed, irreversibly altered, by the impact of cancer on their loved ones and themselves.  The victims, the families, and the caregivers are all felled to their knees, left unwillingly at the mercy of an unbiased monster.  Cancer isn't picky, you see.  It doesn't see age, gender, race, culture, or religion.  It doesn't see beauty, filth, disparity, intelligence, stupidity, kindness, meanness, or wealth.  It doesn't care if you are a husband, wife, sister, brother, auntie, uncle, son, daughter, friend, colleague, or neighbour.   Nothing tells these stories better than the trail of luminaries.  And until we no longer have to light a candle in memory of another cancer victim, we have no choice but to continue fighting.

If you would like to view more images from the event, please visit the Zoomphoto site here.  100% of the proceeds from sales are donated back to the Canadian Cancer Society.  All images are copyright Canadian Cancer Society.
















Comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.