iLOVE: skipping work to be classroom mommy!

Today was cabane á sucre day at the school for the girls. In kindergarten, each student at their school gets to make a kid-friendly version of a traditional ceinture flechée on a hand-operated loom, which they will use each year for the cabane á sucre celebration through 6th grade.

Indoor events included crafts, songs, and other festivities, topped off with some always amazing and guaranteed to have you dancing entertainment by Les Bucherons. Outdoor events for cabane á sucre include rolling up hot maple syrup in a stick which is called a "tire" (pronounced like 'tier' or simply called "maple taffy"). This is always a sticky mess that everyone loves. They're kids - why would they NOT love sugar for breakfast, especially when one of the other events was drinking hot chocolate at the firepit? My job was to read the little English blurb about the factoids and history of maple syrup in Canada. (Really, they need to vamp it up - I was falling asleep reading it, and it was impossible to keep the kids' attention...) After, we kept kids from kicking snow, placing styrofoam cups, or getting too close to the firepit. I also made the kids jig while the fiddle and spoon players played, since no one else was. I *may* have had my camera with me.

Une tire.





Comments

So cute! That brings back so many memories for me lol.. when I was young like that we used to go to the "Carnivale d'Hiver " at St. Isadore and do all that fun stuff too.. You captured the joy and the sugary sweetness perfectly .. now I'm homesick...
fmartell2 said…
I loved going to the cabane a sucre at Fort Edmonton Park. And that stick of so maple syrup and snow looks sooooo yummy!!!
There are so many posts here that I'm behind on! Awesome pictures and articles you are putting out there. I love you Hope. You continue to amaze me on a daily basis! <3
great story. The schools do such great things for kids here in Canada. I love the photo's of your daughter. The sugary candy looks so yummy!

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.