peaceLOVE: for the love of one's country

Canada has a large Iranian population, and whether they call Canada home temporarily or permanently, their heartstrings are not easily detached from their friends and family back in Iran.  At the University I am in daily contact with a number of students who are here on visas, who have watched in what can only be equated to frustration and anger over what they feel was an election riddled with fraud, deceit, and no real democracy from a man I've both heard and read about described as nothing shy of a dictator.

I won't pretend to understand the depth of this issue - I've grown up in a democratic society and am one of the ~ack~ 43% (rolling eyes - come on people...) who goes out and votes every chance I get - it's my right and my responsibility, and my privilege.  But then again, the US is considered a democracy and look what happened with the Bush election... but I digress...

Iran's recent election has brought peaceful protesters out in droves across Canada, sporting facepaint, balloons, Canadian and Iranian flags, and signs as simple as, "Where is my vote?" and "Time for Change" to outright accusations laid against the newly elected "dictator" and "terrorist supporter."  Some protests in Iran have been violent, but even peaceful protests have been met with violence under the new regime, resulting in injuries and arrests.  Read more.  And some more.

Today we happened upon Edmonton's peaceful Iranian protesters who braved the sketchy weather, singing, chanting, and waving signs that expressed both desperation and hope.  I ran into a few of the students I know from campus and in speaking to them, without being able to fully empathize, my heart nevertheless goes out to the Iranians living in Canada who so wish for change, and the bona fide democratic rule, general safety and indeed happiness of loved ones back home.



Comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.