hairLOVE? bobbing for dollars...

BACKSTORY:
It's no secret that the Relay for life is a BIG thing for me. The origins of it, however, must be mentioned. A group if us sarted a Relay team called the Mommas and the Poppas 5 years ago in honour of Lori Melan, sister to my dear friend and trusted hairstylist Stacie, who succumbed to cancer in a very short period of time. I'm not personally one to buy flowers, though - flowers die too, and as pretty as they are, they really aren't that important to me - so when I was asked to go in on a bouquet I suggested gathering up the money and donating it to the Cancer Society instead. One thing led to another and voila - some 5 weeks later we're at the Relay for Life wearing hippy wigs and protesting cancer.
Fast forwarding to today, the Mommas and Poppas have temporarily disbanded, and although I've carried on with the Relay, Stacie has decided to do the Ride to Conquer Cancer from June 26 - 28, 2009 in support of the Alberta Cancer Board as she felt it was a fitting tribute to the memory of her sister. 
SIDESTORY:
I don't get haircuts.  Truthfully, Stacie is more the friend who makes Hope get her hair cut once every 2 years whether she wants to or not than what I'd call my "hairdresser."  In fact, when it comes right down to it, I whine about haircuts, and have some weird paranoid freak thing about having my hair too short to wear in a ponytail, which Stacie respectfully manages to leave intact without smacking me upside the head too many times.  My people know I'm a little weird about my ponytail - I'm a little attached... 

Then in March I get a message from the sweet young daughter of a mutual friend, who felt the need to rub in the fact ~she~ had cut ~her~ hair off for wigs.  And of course, the challenge was on for me to cut off *my* ponytail... and after watching Jordan do a marathon and go balding for dollars I figured, OK - let's do this!

BOBBING FOR DOLLARS: 
Visit Stacie's fundraising home page and donate.  As soon as that thermometer reaches $6800 I will go let Stacie give me a bob, and I'll donate the ponytail so some punk 10 year old doesn't make me look bad.  If it breaks the $7000 mark before June 21st, my son Kaelan has agreed to let her shave his head, too!  Of course we will post Before and After pictures.  So, you go donate - and I'll go bobbing for dollars!  If anyone else has at least an 8" ponytail they can donate this is me officially challenging you to join me in supporting Stacie's Ride to Conquer Cancer and go Bobbing for Dollars: send me an email to h [dot] walls [at] shaw [dot] ca so we can round up enough hairdressers to harvest our heads...

Comments

Tanya said…
Way to go Hope! I'll be pledging Stacie when I see her. :)
I dare you Hope LOL !! I can't wait to see your bob :)

P.S. Our team has not ended, we are just taking a break. We will be back in full force at a relay track near you ;)
Hope Walls said…
Woohoo! I'm so going to hold you to that Tammy lol
Hope Walls said…
btw - I might need a photog for a before and after gig... lol
Oh I will be there if you need me !
As per facebook comments, I'm going punking for dollars. I'll essentially shave my head except for a punky fringe of spiked bangs dyed a funky colour (hot pink, royal purple, bright blue, or whatever)
Jordan said…
Done - you will look beautiful (as always!!)!!
Collene said…
the punk 10 year old (aka Shaylee) is in bed, but I will get her to read this first thing in the morning, she is going to be so proud you joined in her quest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cyberkitty said…
Kudos to you Hope!
Not only will you help others, but you will look awesome with a short do. :)
Hope Walls said…
I'm terrified. Ask anyone - I'm not vain in any way, shape or form. Except my hair. My beloved hair. I'm a bicycle commuter and face suffering indefinite month of helmet head with a bob. I always gawk in amazement at people brave enough to shave their heads. I know it's a small sacrifice on my part, one I'm happy to make. But I admit, I'm terrified, if nothing else by the sheer GLEE and EXHILARATION that Stacie herself has expressed over the opportunity to lop of my beloved locks... Go read runningjordan's headshave post - it's really about ME and my pony-bun. Oh, pony-bun, how will I survive without you? lol ~strokes her pony-bun longingly~
kate said…
You're awesome, Hope. I'm sure you'll look beautiful with a bob. And don't be nervous, it's not so bad. Why not go all the way bald???
Hope Walls said…
Oh, sure - up the ante... lol. Let me go bobbing for dollars this year. you gotta let me work up to a head shave... lol
kate said…
I'll give you time to work up to the full shave. Just let me know when you're ready for my scarves and hats.
Hope Walls said…
My bags are packed, I'm on the guilt trip... lol
kate said…
Oh goodness wasn't trying to send you on that trip, just offering...
Collene said…
I am typing this for the punk 10 yr old (aka Shaylee):

I want to know what the thermometer is at now. Now I am making a nickname for you, lol. If I can cut my hair off, then you can too, Love you Hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from the punk 10 yr old
Hope Walls said…
$9.80 from now I'll be shorn like like a sheep. I have visions of Stacie running about, gleefully brandishing her prize...

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.