planetLOVE: happy Earth Hour!

I'm not the world's biggest tree hugger, but I do try and make as small of a carbon footprint as possible.  Most people know our family is all about bicycle commuting - my brothers-in-law, my husband, my boys, and I all make a point of riding our bikes everywhere we possibly can, even when it's -30 and there's snow blowing.  (Yes, the crazy lady you see hauling a kid around in a Chariot in the middle of a blizzard is me taking Serejane to daycare.)


Tonight was Earth Hour.  From 8:30 pm to 9:30 pm in your local time zone, everyone was asked to turn their lights off.  Not your TV or your computer or anything else - just your lights.  One of the first things I noticed, being in the dark and all, was that the City of Edmonton obviously didn't get the lights out notice, which ended up with me having these beautiful haunting tree shadows cast through the prism of my bathroom window's privacy coating.


We took it up a notch and went as powerless as possible, which included using the rechargeable portable video player to watch movies in bed.  Above, the girls watched 'Flushed Away' while we counted down the hour, and I unplugged the mac and went cordless.


My friend Christine had tweeted about how dark her street was so I decided to go out and check how ours was doing.

The apartment building up the road got a big fat F.


(Art came out with me - isn't he cute in his cone?  He sounds like a little snow-shovel when he snuffling around...)  The apartment building failed, but for the most part, our street was dark.


Whether that was because nobody was home or because they al heard about Earth Hour I may never know, but it was looking encouraging. I do know with certainty that at our house, it was blinkin' dark (below).


So maybe an hour of darkness isn't much.  But, we recycle, use energy-efficient bulbs, live close to work and work close to home, use public transportation, shop second-hand, grow some of our own food, and compost as much as we can.  Maybe it isn't as much as some, but it's more than many, and it's better than nothing.  Want to learn more about reducing your carbon footprint?  For all kinds of tips and tricks on being green, visit the National Geographic website here, or do a google search for 'going green' or 'reducing my carbon footprint.'

Comments

bumatom said…
Yeah I hauled ass around the city in the taxi
cs4 three bills good deal
is it a student version
is it the whole creative suit
Carol Kerfoot said…
we turned off everything with exception to Tysons night light for the first 10 minutes till he fell asleep because he was having no part of that... I looked out the window while I was waiting for him to crash and there were two other homes in our TH complex that had darkness. Home maybe, maybe out for a Saturday night? Once he fell asleep and I turned out his little light I jumped in bed and had about 10 minutes of conversation then....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. One hour turned to 9! :)
Tanya said…
You know I didn't mind having the lights out for that hour I think I might do it more often. As much as I hate taking the bus or walking everywhere it does feel kind of good to know I am travelling in a more enviromentally friendly way.
My house was dark for that time as well but I was out getting groceries. I totally forgot about it until after we got home.

I'm thinking I should get Stephen to attach a bike (or two) to the TV upstairs and let the munchkins bike to get their TV watching in. LOL Maybe it would tire them out a little. LOL
kate said…
The children loved earth hour! We played board games by candlelight and the light of the fireplace, popped popcorn and had ourselves a real earth hour party! Needless to say, our lights were off for much longer than an hour...
Wish I was home for that :( Good job woman and the pics are awesome ! Glad you shared your evening with us !
Ang said…
we forgot all about it
Hope Walls said…
Do it tonight. Do it every night. lol

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.