myLOVE: some Art

I've had numerous requests for updates on Art, so here are a few pics I snapped this week.  He is a sm(Art) doggy - he can sit, lay down, dance, come, and stay.  He is mostly house-trained (sometimes *we* forget to let him out) and understands no and off.  We're working on playing patty cakes (which will be HILARIOUS once we've mastered it) and shake a paw.  However, we've given up on 'speak' - he just runs to the door to see who's here, every time...  ~sigh~


He's got a few puppy habits to break still - even though his baby teeth are out he has a nasty habit of chewing on hands - not hard, he never bites, but he sure gets a lot of slobber on ya...  He also needs to learn not to jump up so much.  It takes a lot of effort to get him calmed down when he's excited to see you to convince him to 'sit nice', but I'm confident that most of the puppy behaviours he will simply outgrow, and with enough positive reinforcement from us will be a thing of the past all in good time, especially after he gets fixed this month.  (P.S. Tattoo your pets - it's more readily visible and the micro-chips are linked to cancer!)


We he(Art) him.  And he he(Art)s us.

Comments

Sheila Mc said…
Ok Hope, I had to comment on this. I work in a vet clinic - and not once have I even heard of microchips being linked to cancer. Ideally people will get both forms of ID. We recommend tattoos because like you said they are readily visible. But the downside is is that they fade. In a couple of years a lot of tattoos are no longer legible. Most people have no idea how hard it is to try to trace a tattoo that is missing one or two digits. We also recommend microchipping. They are always there. Pounds/rescue societies all routinely scan lost pets. An important thing to remember though is that the ID is only as good as the information linked to it. People often don't update their info when it changes. A final note - even if there is a risk of cancer (which I don't believe) the risk of being lost and then put to sleep when unable to contact an owner is far greater. Pets with ID get 10 days, pets with no ID get 3 days. Sorry this was so long - pet identification is near and dear to my heart.
Hope Walls said…
Good points, OK Mama, and yes, pet ID is a matter near and dear to my heart, too. Recent tests (last fall I believe) with using microchipping for humans (the elderly and the handicapped) revealed information that linked cancer in lab rats with the microchips. There are centuries of tattooing in humans and animals with no links to cancer, and a responsible pet owner monitors their pets' tattoos for legibility and will fork out the money if it needs to be redone. I suppose there's no point in panicking, but to play it safe, I prefer to stick with a tattoo. Besides, it'll make Art look tough. (I wonder if they'll put a nice MOM tattoo on there for him if I throw them a few extra bucks? lol)
Deanna said…
He is adorable!!
kate said…
I've heard of microchipping, but never the tattoo. Interesting...

He's very cute!!!
I had a Malamute in my early teens that had been tattoo'd by the breeder. I'm not sure if it's normal or not but during his first bath, the tattoo leaked green dye all over his inner leg and along the back of his leg. A puppy with what looked like emerald green moss growing on the fur of one of his back legs. Very funny.

I've always microchipped our pets because I was told that tattoos are only 'valid' at the place where they were done. That there wasn't a database of tattoos to trace the animal away from that initial location.

On the rest of the post, Art is adorable. I just want to pick him up and snuggle him.
Tanya said…
Art is artdorable!
I love Art.
He is adorable.
I must say though.... my girlfriends pug still gets all worked up when there are visitors and he is 11!!

I think they are just dogs that are genuinely happy to see visitors!

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.