a gift

I have a zoom lens.  It's a nice one, too, and it takes fantastic pictures.  It serves me well.  Sadly for me, I prefer prime lenses (fixed focal length) which although cumbersome make my heart flutter.  I drool over them online.

For some time now I've drooled over one specific lens, a compact prime called a 'pancake' lens that fits ever so sweetly on the front of your camera as if it's not even there.  It takes tack-sharp images.  For a girl who has her camera with her almost 24-7 (who will also be doing some traveling in 2009) and who isn't really big into Photoshopping her pictrues, a lightweight compact lens that takes tack-sharp images has OBVIOUS benefits.  That, and it looks really cool.

Alas, it wasn't in the budget.  Left to my own devices I'd have a 2nd and 3rd mortgage out on the house and nothing but mountains of photography equipment laying about.  However, some things are simply meant to be.  Thanks to the grads from last year's DLS series, who went out of their way and behind my back, dragging everyone including my husband AND 14yo son into it, I am now the proud owner of my very own pancake lens.  

I haven't had much of an opportunity to try it out, but I did manage to pester my kids a bit over last weekend.


You can't really tell from these websized images, but the originals are so sharp I could have taken an eye out with them.


And, I hardly feel the camera in my backpack these days, she's so sleek!

I will be the first to admit I'm not the best 'receiver' of gifts.  I'm also not the best receiver of 'surprises' in general.  But I'm getting better - I think I took it in stride as well as could be expected...  Suffice it to say the girls made me cry, made my heart swell, filled me with pride and gratitude, and totally rocked my December 2008.  Thank you to ALL of you, even those who couldn't make it, for the amazing thoughtfulness and crazy awesome gift.  I'm humbled, and overjoyed.  More pics to come over the holidays!!!!  ~Squee!~

Comments

Carol Kerfoot said…
WOOO HOOOOO!! what a great group of peoples! and LOVE LOVE LOVE the shots!
Tanya said…
Aww glad to hear you got such a nice surprise, great photo's.
kate said…
How exciting!
Tasha said…
that's so sweet! i'm pretty sad that i wasn't able to be a part of that :( sniff sniff... i'm in my own graduating class i guess... more sniff sniff...

can't wait to see more of your sharpness ;)

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.