the wedding guest

I remember the first time Scott brought Jenn to the house.  I immediately had a crush on Jenn - she is smart, funny, sweet, and beautiful - the whole package - and after ~maybe~ an hour I said to Scott, "That's the girl for you."  After Scott bringing Jenn around about 80 more times, I said to Jenn, "Hey, what do you think of Scott?"  She kind of shrugged but I knew better...

Now, Scott's not one to rush into things.  It took him almost 2 years to finally ask the poor girl if she'd date him, and despite buying a house, raising dogs, and buying RVs and skidoos together, a few more after that to ask the poor girl to marry him.  So when the engagement announcement finally came, NO ONE could have been happier for them than me!!!


I left my camera in my bag for most of the night.  Scottie & Ferfer didn't ask me to take their pictures, and I was so incredibly grateful that I would be allowed the luxury of being there as a witness to the event instead of the journalist.  (I was horrified with the behaviour of their photographer, but that's a whole other post lol)  Anyways, I figured I would have been useless anyway, all that weeping and wiping of joyful tears.  They had actually asked me to perform the marriage ceremony but since Alberta doesn't allow that anymore, I got them a quartet instead.  (Stringbeans - they are AMAZING!  One of the quartet had a vehicular breakdown and was unable to make it, and even as a three-piece ensemble they totally kicked butt!)


Of course, I had crappy seats for picture-taking, but I did sneak a few shots for my own personal records.  When they entered the reception and Jenn gave a triumphant shake of her bouquet a collective cheer rose from everyone who had waited ever so patiently for Scottie to do what we all knew he should do and make an honest woman of his bride.  Truly, it was a perfect day for a perfect couple.  All I have to say now is, "I told you so."





Comments

Becks said…
It must've been so different to be on the other side. I want to hear the story!!! Please share!
ticblog said…
It was weird and wonderful. And the photographer, well, let's just say he was very invasive. He obscured the ceremony for anyone behind the 3rd row by standing in the middle of the aisle to review his pictures when he wasn't shooting. He also stood in the middle of the aisle and 'directed' people during the processional and recessional, so instead o shooting what was happening or even being discreet, he was actually saying stuff like, "OK - stop for a second, now smile, look this way, no no no this way, OK kiss the bride, now walk slowly..." It was surreal. I know that's his 'style' or whatever but honestly it cheapened the experience for me as a guest, and several other people were complaining about at the reception. I went to the wedding to see the bride and groom and hear them say their vows, and got to look at the back of the photographer's head and listen to him being a drill sergeant instead. I mean, during he formals it's one thing to direct people, but during the ceremony I personally think my function as a photojournalist is to capture things as they unfold, not make contrived and improbable "moments" happen that without my interference quite frankly wouldn't otherwise happen. If the ring bearer is picking his nose as he walks up the aisle, or the bride spends most of her time wiping tears, or the groom has to pee and does the peepee dance throughout, that's what I'm going to shoot, you know? Oy. I swear, my next project is a book about how to be the invaluable yet invisible photographer. ~sigh~

(stepping off my soap box now lol)
ticblog said…
OH! And in a room with natural lighting coming in from windows on BOTH sides of the venue (like 100 feet of windows!!!) he used the flash (without a diffuser I must add) EVERY TIME. Considering the bride had gotten a sunburn and was moisturized up the wazoo to avoid peeling, I am sure the white hotspot on her shiny forehead will be a lovely way to remember the day.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.