dealing with fear

I am turning into a chicken (well not physically) but I have the opportunity to take some photos in a style that I am VERY interested in doing, but I am scared to take them.

Do you have any pointers, tips to get over this initial fear!?! How do I take this leap without freaking!?! I need to do this, but I have stalled.

Signed,

S. Cat


Well, S. Cat, I think if you weren't a big nervous about taking on a new project you'd be weird.  Unfortunately, without knowing exactly what kind of photography you're doing that's scaring you, it's very hard to give you specific tips, so I will answer it in a very general sense.  

When you are taking any kind of pictures for another person, it's perfectly normal for you to be very afraid that you will disappoint the client, or, at the very least, not live up to your own expectations.  After 10+ years I still get a serious case of stage fright before most of my sessions.  Often the trick to getting a handle on things is to just BREATHE.  As long as I remember to breathe, I am able to regain my composure and proceed.  I find that the amount I am charging for the session is in direct correlation with the level of pre-show jitters I get.  Often if I'm not sure how something will turn out but want the experience, I'll offer my services for free.  Practice will help relax you, too - until I've done a particular type of session so many times that it's like second nature I can't avoid feeling a bit giddy and nervous.  So, I research other peoples' work in the same genre, I prepare my props, costumes, equipment, I turn the process into a long extended breathing exercise.

Remember - though there is a right and wrong way to operate a camera, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to take creative pictures.  Whatever your style is, it is.  Embrace that and you can never go wrong because even if the client is dissatisfied, at least you know you shot the session with artistic vision and integrity.  Good luck!

Comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.