2008 RFL, episode 2: the girls clickin' some cancer butt

When I started the DLS Workshops, I really had no idea the direction they would take.  Mostly, I just wanted to share what I knew, and introduce people with a passion for photography to a) the technical side and more importantly b) the philosophical side of why I do what I do.  When the act of taking a photograph transcends beyond technique to become art and documentation all rolled into one, it's the greatest feeling in the world.   At the heart of my Photographilosophy is the belief that the stronger your connection to whatever or whoever you're photographing, the stronger the finished product will be.  Not only have I been consistently amazed by the natural talent these women have, but their desire to evolve and really make their photography meaningful, to go beyond simply taking a photograph to capturing an image full of raw emotion with as much impact as beauty is admirable and inspiring.  



I call giving back to my community through pictures Photographilanthropy, mostly because I'm a geek.  But I digress...  When it was initially discussed with Christine McCourt how the Relay for Life team photographs would be done, I knew two things right away.  Number one was that I couldn't do it alone - to cover an event that size would require far more manpower than I could provide alone.  Number two was that beyond needing help, I wanted to share the experience of this emotional and powerful event, and since I happened to have a large pool of eager photographers at my disposal, it was an easy decision to ask them to join ticdesign in the form of "Team Clickin' Cancer's Butt."  

Sometimes there are simply greater forces at work than I have the power to recognize except for in hindsight.  I call this 'found treasure' serendipity, and it was truly serendipitous that the group of women who had participated in the workshops were in fact willing to help me out with such an immense and important task.  They brought with them an intense dedication and a wide range of skills and styles that brought life to a concept, and turned a dream into reality.  For me, it was really the pinnacle of success to be surrounded by fellow shooters who became as passionate about the reasons for the pictures as the pictures themselves.

None of us went into it seeking fame or fortune, merely the opportunity to provide a meaningful service while having a meaningful experience.  This is, of course, the crux of what I had hoped to impart through the DLS Workshops all along, and I think I speak for every one of us when I say it was nothing shy of phenomenal to be a part of this event as the Official Team Photographers. It was my both my pleasure and honour to work with this talented bunch of ladies (in alphabetical order) and commend them: 

for braving giant wildlife, 
Amy Alexander of Photos by Amy

for combining work with strollercize, 
Lareina Dibben of Lareina’s Photography

for having the guts to get up on stage, 
Heather Duperron of PixelPie: the substance of life 

for quietly orchestrating the largest team photos, 
Lisa Holmes of L. Holmes Photography

for surviving a hectic grad shoot and still showing up after, 

for taking the leap and proving me right, 

for staying to the bitter end, 
Amanda McCrea of Images by Amanda

for enduring swollen maternity ankles, 
Rebecca Manchul of Twinkle Pix

for braving the survivor banquet solo, 

Again, words cannot express my gratitude to you all.  We laughed, we cried, we played, we walked (a lot), and I HOPE we can do it all over again next year...

*These images copyright Canadian Cancer Society

Comments

Anonymous said…
I will forever be grateful to have been a part of such an amazing experience. I'm so glad I "found" you. Hope, you have taught me so much about photography and the art of seeing that I can't begin to thank you. I hope I don't sound like a weirdo, but I'm just so appreciative!
Anonymous said…
Oh, you totally sound like a weirdo, CH. I take no credit or blame for that lol... I'm glad you found me, too. Who'd have thunk, hey? Life is such a beautiful adventure.


(Now who sounds like the weirdo, hey?)
Anonymous said…
I am hoping to be part of your DLS next year, Hope. I don't want to do this for a living, I just want to learn!

You all did a wonderful thing!
Anonymous said…
Oh, I'm feeling so much love all around! Ya bunch of weirdo's!! hahaha!

It was fantastic. We look super hot with that purple hair!! Next year, we have to walk the relay too!! I'm gearing up.
Anonymous said…
Awww, thanks Hope! I had so much fun, too. And for sure we'll be taking on Cancer in a whole new way next year. I've already started prodding my family to be prepared to donate.

And I am so stepping up the purple next year - y'all just watch out. LOL.
Anonymous said…
Awesome...just awesome!
Anonymous said…
Awesome! Really Awesome.

PS I LOVE your new profile photo!! Very cool indeed!
Anonymous said…
It's been a while since I last visited your blog and I am sad -- becacuse I have missed so many wonderful posts, but also because of the contents on some of your posts. You write beautifully and so demonstratively. And it is too mch of a challenge to find the right words to describe your art.
So glad I came back for a visit.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for stopping by, KJ - I'd like to take credit for the pictures but really I just happen to have amazing people willing to let me shoot them... lol. The writing, well - I'll take credit for that. When I'm not shooting, I'm writing, and I'm glad someone enjoys it. Thank you, again.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.