Exercises for week of May 5th, 2008

Alright, folks.  There are TWO parts to this week's exercises - one part is writing, one is taking pictures.  Please do the exercises in the order of writing first, then taking your picture, though I know how very tempting it will be to do it in the reverse...

Task #1. I want you to think really really hard about why you want to take pictures.  I want you to write down in point form on a piece of paper all the reasons photography appeals to you.  You aren't being judged or marked on this, and you don't even have to share your list if you don't want.  Dream big, be brutally honest with yourself about what you consider the benefits of taking pictures are; whatever it is, write it down.  Do you plan to make an income from it and have it as your new career?  Do you plan to enter contests so that you are internationally recognized?  Are you wanting to be a boutique photographer or do you think you see yourself as more the studio type? If you become wildly successful as a photographer, what will that look like for you - a studio, professional designations, and $berzillion gigabuck workshops?  Are you planning to photograph people or things?  Do you fantasize about a small home-based business with just enough income to stabilize your income or offset your mortgage or maybe even just a humble hobby that pays for itself? You would be wise to explore the photography of others already established in the industry - who inspires you?  What is it about those pictures that you admire?  Are they technically perfect?  Are they effective at drawing an emotional response?  Are they breathtaking or mind-boggling?  Are they seriously fun?  Funny?  After all is said and done, you should be able to answer this question for yourself: WHY do you want to take pictures?

Task #2.  Now that you are beginning to understand WHY you personally want to take pictures, I want you to spend some time thinking of a few signature shots for yourself - something that you think epitomizes or defines why you will get out of bed and pick up your camera day after day.  It  might be something as simple as your child's smile or runny egg yolks; it might be something as complex as setting up an impromptu studio session and snapping portraits of your dog wearing a pair of sunglasses, a bonnet and apron, and pretending to bake a cake...  Whatever the picture is, I want you to be able to look at it and say, "THIS is the kind of pictures I want to create."  Are they fun and silly?  Are they serious?  Are they beautiful and artsy?  Are they simple and pleasant?  Are they eery and disturbing?  You should have five NEW pictures in your 'style' portfolio.  Then, you need to pick FIVE photos you've taken in the past to include.  I'd like you all to post your ten photos someplace where we can see them, and ask you questions.  When designing your shots and choosing the images for your portfolio, keep asking yourself, do these reflect, illustrate, or define WHY I take pictures?  If the answer is no, then keep looking.

You have a full TWO WEEKS for this exercise before I start harassing you about it...

In the meantime, I'll be doing my 'event' on Mother's Day... stay tuned!

Comments

Mama Bear said…
I am really liking this assignment Hope. And I know I'll enjoy working on it. Hopefully I'll have it done in the two weeks, but I know it's going to take me that long to work on it. I like things that make you think and feel, and this is a good one.
Hope Walls said…
I'm already finished the first part - neiner neiner neiner!!! http://ticdesign.blogspot.com/2008/05/why-oh-why.html
Hope Walls said…
I'm already finished the first part - neiner neiner neiner!!! http://ticdesign.blogspot.com/2008/05/why-oh-why.html
Rebecca McKay said…
Wow! This is going to be awesome, my rusty brain wheels are already turning. I'm super excited!
Mama Bear said…
Sorry. I'm not reading it till I'm done mine. I don't want to influenced...lol. I'll blog stalk ya later.
Great assignment, although I don't have the gift for articulating my thoughts on paper, but I will do my best. I just ready your write up and your motivations behind being a photographer, show in your work. Now I have to go "think", my head hurts and I have hives. Just joking!
Tanya said…
~Whew~ This was a tough one for me, I gave part one a shot now to move on to part two.

You know if my brain doesn't explode LOL.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.