out of curiosity (an explanation)

So Babzy, you smart ass...  there was a point to the out of curiosity questions...  lol
One of the things that dawned on me in the last few days is the idea of conscious vs. unconscious 'habits' and how a process becomes ingrained so much we are completely unaware of it.  Most of us never think about how we do the dishes - we just do them, our own way, sometimes for a good reason, other times because it's how we were taught, and yet others simply for no apparent reason.

The reason I am thinking about this is because I am noticing that I have several 'unconscious' habits that need to be broken.  Unlike quitting smoking or something equally obvious, the insidiousness of the unconscious 'habit' could be potentially very toxic.  In fact so toxic, it could poison a person's mental health.  Nothing to do with aprons or OCD.  I'm wondering now, though, if the process for changing unconscious habits would be the same as for conscious habits, and if it would be more difficult.

Sorry to say, though, that there was no great scientific discovery here, just a 'eureka' moment for me on Planet Weird (I think a lot on the bike ride home, OK?)  Tune in next week...  lol

Comments

Babzy said…
This is good stuff. I knew you were up to something because I didn't think you were that interested in how someone does their dishes or shopping.

How would you know you had a habit worth changing if it was buried in the unconscious? Here's an example. My ex told me once that I'm a door slammer. He was referring to kitchen cupboard doors at the time. I was never conscious of that bad habit until he mentioned it. Once it entered my consciousness I was able to change the behaviour.

I don't think changing unconscious habits is any more difficult than changing conscious habits. It was a thousand times more difficult for me to quit smoking (conscious) than to quit slamming doors (unconscious that became conscious).

P.S. Freud called. He wants his couch back.
ticblog said…
Well, see, one of the 'unconscious' habits I've gotten into is the routine I have established. When I think about it, I do most things in a completely predictable way. For example, there are people and cars I recognize on my bike ride home, every day. I rarely stray from my chosen route. Why? No particular reason came to mind. The streets aren't any less bumpy or busy one way or another, but of course the scenery never changes and I get to be 'unconscious' as I ride home. I had to take a slightly different route the other day because one of the roads was too slippery for my taste. Instead of taking the sidewalk (like i would normally do) I went down a different road. Wouldn't you know it, my timing was off and I missed seeing the 'regulars' at the corner I cross, and the houses were all different... lol

Perspective is EVERYTHING. So simple, yet so complex. So I'm trying to figure out what other routines I have gotten into that are so boring or second nature that I don't consciously think about them. My rational is this: maybe part of the reason I am so tired all the time is because I am understimulated, both at work during the day, and at home during the evenings. By mixing things up, I might inspire myself.

Self-quackery rocks. I'll let you know how it goes. I think I'll mention it to my headshrinker on Saturday 91st appt, whee!) and see what her thoughts are on that.
alphonsedamoose said…
I think if you are thinking about unconscious habits, thy are no longer unconscious. How to find out?
Try changing (if you can) your whole routine one day and see what happens.
Does that make sense?

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.