My pictures have been turning out slightly blue tinged (the whites) esp pics taken at dusk or dawn.

Laura said...
Having an issue. My pictures have been turning out slightly blue tinged (the whites) esp pics taken at dusk or dawn. Ive tried adjusting the white balance to appropriate settings, the saturation level on the cam (which I quickly switched back, haha. ) Not sure what is going on? It's easily fixable in photoshop, but a pain in the butt. What am I missing?


Well, Laura, based on the information you've given me, and me not being a digital camera expert, my first guess is, "Something's wrong with your camera..." Before running in to the camera store for expensive repairs and/or estimates, my first suggestion would be a thorough cleaning of both your lenses and your sensor. If you aren't past warranty on your camera, you will need to take it in to an authorized establishment in order to not void the warranty; however, if you are past your warranty period, any reputable camera shop can provide this service to you for a fairly reasonable price. If, however, this does not fix the problem, you will likely be forced to spend money on repairs and estimates anyway.

It's important to note that pictures taken at dusk or dawn will certainly have a blue or 'cool' hue especially if they are taken in the shade. As you mention, it's fairly easy to repair this in Photoshop (or even Picasa) but it certainly does add an extra step. Because I'm pretty anal about the tone and hue of my pictures, I've never found that the automatic white balance has been very accurate on any of the digital cameras I've used. I kind of just budget for that extra time to either program the camera or deal with it after the fact. To that end, shooting RAW helps a lot, as you can get a really accurate white balance in post processing. (Though as a rule, I tend to prefer the non-white balanced versions after the fact...)

My other best guess is, do you have a polarizing filter on the end of your lens all the time, and is it possible that could be affecting the hue of your pictures? My dirty little secret is that since purchasing my digital, I no longer have polarizing filters on my lenses as I know I can just go back and tweak it in Photoshop anyways. If I had initially stuck one on there, I'd have forgotten about it long ago...

I wish I had a better answer for you. Good luck!~

Comments

Babzy said…
Q. What does RAW mean and is it a program or a lens or a type of camera or a setting on the camera and what does it do and what is it good for and why do we need it?

(That's just one question because there is only one question mark. HA)
Laura said…
Thanks Hopey-poop! Ill look into it. Im not convinced it's the camera needing fixing just yet. Everything else is COMPLETELY fine, just the blue tinge sometimes. A good cleaning is deff in need, Ill go with that then look into it further if I need to.
Hope Walls said…
I still say it's just taking a picture in autumn - the lighting is pretty unique and wonderful this time of year!

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.