dem bones dem bones...

Luggage, for my emotional baggage.


This note changed my life, it changed my perception of who I was, and what I was worth. I took the invitation to keep the note very seriously.


Bill stoked the fire. I love him.


We threw a whole pile of notes on the fire. I saved the best for last.

I said, "I hated those bitches," as it went up in flames. I cried. The girls who wrote this note are not forgiven yet - I'm working on it.


As I read through the notes before shuffling them into piles - the 'burn' pile (the note pictured, notes that didn't make sense anymore, the letters from the friend who would only associate with me by mail for fear of upsetting the bitches who wrote this note) or the 'keep' pile (Christmas and birthday cards, pen pal notes from Julie, silly cartoons drawn of our chemistry teacher, drawings from kids I babysat, letters from campers) I unlocked a few other doors. Some I dared not open yet - one skeleton at a time, right Babzy? - and others I opened, smiled or shook my head fondly as I looked in, closed, and walked away feeling happy. I also unearthed a few juicy tidbits of long-forgotten girl-lore to share with some of my old-but-new-again friends.

For what it's worth, the girls in the gym who called me "fishy" are officially forgiven. Thank you, TL, for appearing in my life again. Serendipity rocks.

Comments

Babzy said…
I nearly went blind trying to read that note but I finally got the gist of it. I hope those nasty bitches remember what they did to you and are ashamed of themselves.

I feel happy for you now, not sad. The burning ritual is very powerful and to have your loving family with you stoking and mooning the fire completes it.

Those skeletons were fleeing with their bony asses on fire.
ticblog said…
I'm resisting the urge to randomly send the link to that note to the writer. I know where she is.
Babzy said…
Why not? You could send your own note with it. "My husband and I were cleaning out some old crap and found this. I had forgotten all about it. You owe me an apology." Short and sweet.
ticblog said…
No - I think it would be way more fun to blur my name off too, and just send it anonymously. Kind of like a haunting. I mean, it *is* halloween...
Carol Kerfoot said…
do it do it do it...

Like the final cleanse
Carol Kerfoot said…
If you decide to send it....

With any luck this person has a daughter ( not necessarily good for the daughter mind you) has matured and will feel the pain when they read it.
ticblog said…
I'm resisting the urge because I'm not sure what purpose it would serve in the grander scheme of things. As gratifying as it would be, as much as it wold give *me* closure, I am not convinced it would do anything positive for her.

She doesn't have any children. Maybe she can't have children. Maybe she's had an abortion. Maybe she's still small-minded and would just laugh. This is one of those instances where I have to wonder if my anger is about to cross that line into being cruel. I think I've let it go now. Bringing her back into it makes it about her again, instead of me.

If she's meant to see it, she will stumble across it one day.
Babzy said…
A haunting we will go ...
A haunting we will go ...
Hi Ho the Derriere ...
A haunting we will go ..
Tra la la la ....
Tanya said…
Wow what a cruel and awful note to write.. what I could see of it anyways. I don't think you should send it to her. I am a believer of karma and I am sure she got something negative in return for putting out that sort of negativity. It's hard when we come accross people in our adult life that made our teen years hell because half of you wants them to know the angst and hurt you had because of them, but the other half realizes they probably years after the fact have little to no memory of their awful behavior.
ticblog said…
The note says:

Hope, we don't hate you but we don't like it when you listen to us and laugh with us because you arne't part of our group. You have a habit of getting on people's nerves. We don't want you with us all the time (hardly ever) your joke wasn't funny.

We don't like >name withheld< but that joke still wasn't funny.

Please leave us alone and don't think of yourself as a constantly welcome part of our group because your NOT.

>name withheld<
>name withheld<
>name withheld<

(I replied,) "O-Kay!"

They responded by writing:

Keep this so every time you feel the urge you remember to get lost. and don't seem so THRILLED about it.
alphonsedamoose said…
Hope; You have cleaned that crap out of your life physically. Now is the time to let it go mentally. Then ,it is gone foe good.
The person who wrote this will have to answer for it someday.
You took my advise and burned them ! Yaaaaaaayyy!!

See? That's what GOOD friends are for !

Now continue best foot forward and enjoy today !!

Love you !
Tanya said…
Like a pack of vicious wolves, just disgusting. Thankfully you can leave that in the past. I am sure you know but you are a fantastic and kind person and anyone should feel honored and priviledged to call you a friend.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.