When is the best time to plant hydrangeas if you live in Virginia?

just me wants to know: "When is the best time to plant hydrangeas if you live in Virginia? I usually have a moderately green thumb when it comes to vegetables, and flowers, but shrubs confound me everytime. Any ideas?"


justme, I'm afraid I don't know much about hydrangeas except I think they're real purty, and they don't grow worth a damn in my neck of the woods. Too cold, and too much winter here. But I do like them a lot. When I was in Kennewick, WA a few years back, the lady I was staying with had ridiculously huge hydrangeas. They were almost electric blue, and the blossom clusters were at least the size of my head. Her dirty little secret was this: Apparently you can turn pink hydrangeas blue by adding aluminum to the soil. Go figure. I took some nice pictures of hydrangeas on holidays in Duncan, B.C. I've taken the liberty of posting them here in case anyone doesn't know what a hydrangea looks like.

I did find out a few tidbits for you. It only said that you should plant hydrangeas in a spot they get morning sun and afternoon shade, or more sun if you live in a northern US state. It doesn't say to plant them in Virginia at all. Sorry.

This website is dedicated entirely to hydrangeas. I hope you find some useful information there. Happy gardening!

Comments

Oooo you have friends in Virginia ?



My question to you is this :

Would you recommend that I shoot my professional photos in RAW format and converting them later? If so, do I convert them after enhancing them or before ?
just me said…
Guess that's why my hydrandreas don't do so well here in Virginia. Guess I need to go with Azaleas, like everyone else and his ugly brother...thanks.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.