"we don't know"

Those aren't really words of comfort, much less what you want to hear from you medical professionals when your innards are hurting and you'd like some answers. However, that, and a few hypotheses were all I got after my ultrasound yesterday. The radiologist didn't 'see anything wacky' and the technician said, "We won't be calling your Dr. with an emergency or anything...' but that doesn't bring any peace of mind whatsoever, especially since it came with the addendum, "... and if it happens again, you be sure and come back, y'all, hear?"

Internal medicine is a scary thing. Without cutting you open, the best a person can hope for is a clue from the wonderful diagnostic tests we have available. Xray, ultrasounds, blood and tissue and culture samples give really great clues, but not always a definitive answer. Sometimes, all the clues point to one direction, but even then the screening is sometimes deemed 'inconclusive' because some threshold or other hasn't been met.

Current hypothesis on my ovarian situation is that I likely had a cyst causing the 'grotesquely enlarged ovary' and the stabbing abdominal pains. I say had because the bulk of the pain and the swelling appear to be gone now. So today, all's well that ends well.

I have this nagging feeling, though ~ call me a pessimist if you must ~ that this is far from over(y).

Comments

Babzy said…
Hi. If you don't hear from your doctor make sure you phone their office and confirm that everything is okay.

I fell through the cracks when my doctor was on vacation and so was the OBGYN. They each thought the other had contacted me after a biopsy but neither one had. I just figured all was well, no news is good news.

A few months later I went to the doctor for some unrelated thing and she asked me if I had heard back from OBGYN. No I hadn't. The two of them ran in circles bumping into each other like Lucy and Ethel. Next thing I knew WHAM-biopsy-BAM-D&C-WHAMBAM-hysterectomy. Turned out I had uterine cancer but it had not penetrated the uterine wall so it all went away with the hysterectomy.

Now I'm not saying anything about you having something wrong or needing surgery or anything of that nature. My point is that if I had not gone into the doctor for some other thing I could be dead right now.

I tell everybody now that if something is wrong don't depend on busy doctors to do your thinking for you. We all need to be proactive with our health care now-a-days. Most people don't listen and think I'm being dramatic but I don't care I tell anyways.

... end of speil ...
fmartell2 said…
I have had, what Drs think, a few ovarian cysts rupture on me. And the next day I am okie dokie! At the time though I have felt like someone was killing me from the inside out!
Hope all is well, and you don't have it happen again
ticblog said…
I'm going to pay very close attention to it, Babzy. After my own ignorance with the gall bladder saga that took 6 months to resolve, I won't be waiting for it to get worse, nor will I listen to 'we don't know' without pursuing a second option. I ended up having to 'fire' the surgeon who initially consulted with me before I got any proper medical care. I think this is because of all those before me who chose to abuse the, going in for unecessary testing, procedures and appointments intead of being in tune enough with their bodies to know when something is *really* wrong. And trust me - I HATE hospitals, so you KNOW there's something REALLY wrong if it's bad enough for me to seek medical advice...

And Billie - like I said - my spidey-senses are telling me that this is FAR from over...
Tanya said…
Sending you lot's of positive vibes.
alphonsedamoose said…
Did they check you for Celiac disease.? I hope you continue to feel better.
ticblog said…
They only checked for pregnancy, and weird looking shows-up-on-the-ultrasound disease. I presume when I have the consult with my own Dr. she will have a whole battery of tests for me to endure.

Thanks for the concern.
~L said…
Good, luck, Im thinking about you! Hopefully it is not anything major.

Maybe yoga has been paying off though? Sometimes the body does heal itself. Not saying you shouldn't be on hyper alert either though.

**hugs**
Babzy said…
That's my girl!
Allyson said…
I sadly leaned the hard way that you must be your own advocate for tests and the like. Give yourself a short span to see if you are feeling any better, but if not, back to the doctor, please :) Babzy is so right.
Babzy said…
"Babzy is so right" ...

I thought I was wrong once, but it turns out I was mistaken.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.