lucid dreams

In this morning's dream, I'm living in an apartmnet with 2 other girls. One has just been fired as a waitress from some half-assed buffet-style restaurant, and the other has some sort of mental illness - maybe schizophrenia or multiple personalities? I'm not a psychologist, so I'm only guessing here. I had just come out of the shower and I'm wearing my wet hair up a towel. We start eating ice cream with Dream Whip (yarf) and chocolate curls. There's a knock at the door. Schizophrenic Girl goes to the door, opens it just a bit, murmurs something inaudible, closes the door and comes back. Neither me or the Waitress Chick bother to ask who was at the door. I notice Waitress Chick has very very bloodshot eyes. Another knock at the door. Schizophrenic Girl repeats actions as above. About 8 (or maybe 25 times?) this scene plays itself out again and again. I finally ask, "Who is it at the door?" She says, "R~." R~ is the professor I work for. When he knocks again, I answer it. R~ hands me the file folder (yes, THE file folder; it's my dream and I have no idea what's in THE folder but it was THE folder, trust me.) I say thanks, and he turns to go, leaving the smell of shaving cream in the apartment's dingy hallway.

I'm suddenly transported back to the last time I saw my Dad. He seemed so small and grey as he curtsied at me and said, "Bye Hopey, I love you," and I remember noting how strong his hug felt in spite of him being a very little old man, the skin of his papery smooth cheek with not even a day's growth of stubble brushing against my cheek and leaving me smelling the traces of his aftershave for hours after.



I wonder how much of this has to do with the fact we're finally putting his remains to rest in 2 weeks' time, burying the plastic block full of ashes between my grandfather's and my uncle's headstones.

Comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.