meth mouth

Do you talk to your young children about drugs? About crystal meth? Do you know what to look for?

I'm all for painful visits to the dentist and icky silver fillings for kids. It's a deterrent for neglecting dental hygiene, unlike the nice new-school dentists who lull you off to sleep with relaxing music, numbing creams, and TVs. I swear to you that had my dentist not been as brutal as she was, I would have slacked off. Absolutely. No pain, no gain.

My friend B alerted me to this. Although I was acutely aware of the societal impact of crystal meth (I have a very old and dear friend whose life it impacted in ways you don't even want to imagine) I was unaware of this rather unpleasant and (in my never humble opinion) under-publicized side-effect. Apparently there was a Bravo documentary on it, and B and her hubby let their elementary school-aged children watch. She was questioned on the appropriateness of it, but since the advent of Strawberry Quik crystal meth hitting our schools, maybe it's never too early.

If your kids have ever had a cavity filled by an old-school dentist, this might be a deterrent. With easy access to nastier and nastier drugs, I'll take whatever I can get. For more information on how to talk to your kids about meth, there are some useful tidbits here.

** photocred Robert D. Thomas, DDS, Savannah, TN

Comments

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.