an exercise in determining perspective: our national anthem

Sorry, D, but I have to out this one. (And who are "they?)

Patriotism, or thinly-veiled bigotry?
Melting pot, or patchwork quilt?
Assimilation, or integration?


>>>I am sorry but after hearing they want to sing the National
>>>Anthem in Hindi - enough is enough. No where did they sing it in
>>>Italian, Japanese, Polish, Irish (Celtic), German, Portuguese,
>>>Greek, or any other language because of immigration. It was
>>>written in English and should be sung word for word the way it
>>>was written. The news broadcasts even gave the translation -- not
>>>even close. Sorry if this offends anyone but this is MY COUNTRY -
>>>IF IT IS YOUR COUNTRY SPEAK UP ---- please pass this along~
>>>I am not against immigration -- just come through like everyone
>>>else. Get a sponsor; have a place to lay your head; have a job;
>>>pay your taxes, live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE as all
>>>other immigrants have in the past -- and LONG LIVE CANADA!
>>>
>>>PART OF THE PROBLEM
>>>
>>>Think about this: If you don't want to forward this for fear of
>>>offending someone-----YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM !!!!
>>>
>>>Will we still be the Country of choice and still be CANADA if we
>>>continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from
>>>other countries that came to live in CANADA because it is the
>>>Country of Choice??????
>>>
>>>
>>>Think about it!
>>>
>>>
>>>IMMIGRANTS, NOT CANADIAN'S, MUST ADAPT.
>>>
>>>It is Time for CANADA to Speak up. If you agree -- pass
>>>
>>>This along; if you don't agree -- delete it!

Comments

Princesstefer said…
Hans is asleep- that's the only excuse I'll give for why I'm *here*... ok?

That msg peeved me off so much when I first got it in my inbox, I pretty much wanted to smack my friend who'd sent it to me. Just like I wanted to smack her again for a similar msg later on about saying "Happy Holidays" - why does that chick have my email address, and why does she think I'm as narrow minded as she is??

I won't go into every detail of why it's a crock of poop, but I will say this: "O Canada" wasn't written in English.

COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Unless otherwise noted, writing and watermarked images on this blog are copyrighted to Hope Walls.